Friday, May 18, 2012

Got WIFI

May 12

0930 the dealer call and my motor is ready for pick up. Richard gave me a ride to get my motor. Got her installed and fired right up.

Richard was cooking crawfish. Biggest darn thing I'd ever seen. Told Lisa about them and ask the stupid question. Do you want some? Got 2# She ate until her hands hurt and her belly was full. Happy camper she is.

Richard and Peggy are so kind. Don't know what we would have done without their help.

May 13

Got an early start. We made it to Taylor Bayou by 1200. Short day. But that way we will make Stingaree in one day.

Called my sister to wish her a happy mothers day.

Miles 888

May 14

Pulled anchor at 0711 and headed for Stingaree. Quite day except for one tow. His wife must have run off with a sailor. I knew he was behind me and I was giving him all the ditch. I'm in less than 10' of water and here he is 30 yards behind me trying to run me over. This was not my imagination. I got on the radio and asked him what he wanted me to do. No reply but he did move out after he had me in water he couldn't get in. This is twice this has happened. I think the next time its real simple. I'll ask them what they wanted me to do. If I get no answer and they keep coming I'll run myself aground to keep Lisa and Trixie safe. Then I'll get on the radio and inform them that since they are trying to kill us intentionally I will tell them that as they pass I will fill their bridge deck with lead. To me this is self defense.

We saw and spoke to Wayne and Connie just west of the High Island Bridge. Luck them they had sail up. We've had nothing but a head wind.

We got into Stingaree around 1630 tire and hungry. Lisa got a crab po boy and I got fries. Topped off my 3 gal and 6 gal tanks. Leaving me with one gallon of fuel left. In other words 7 gallon out of 19 gal.
This means I used 12 gallons of gas from Morgan City mm 100 to here mm 335 or 235 miles on 12 gallons of fuel. That is a 19.58 mile per gallon. Not to bad averaging 5.5 mph.

We'll head to Offatts bayou tomorrow.

Mile 936

May 15

Left Stingaree at 0711. West on the ICW when the CG came on the radio to inform of the channel closure at the Pelican Island cut. With the cut closed that means going around in the Galveston Channel. I needed to plot a course from the ICW to Galveston Channel. Well I figured a heading of 171 degrees would get us there. No problem NOT Winds were forecast at 5 and light chop. Boy did the weather guy missed it again. Even on Channel 1 on the VHF had is all wrong. We had a beam chop 3 to 5' hitting us to 25 degrees. We had less than 2 mile to contend with but it seemed like forever. Not only the wind and chop but had to worry about ships. None today thank God as I would not have wanted to make a circle in this crap.

Got in the Galveston Channel and it wasn't not much better. Went through the Pelican Island bascule bridge and here is the chop and wind even higher and bigger. Lisa was at her wits end about have way to the railroad bridge. I was fed up with all this mess. Lisa said the dinghy was higher than the boat at time. Got though the railroad bridge to calmer water. We were header to Offatts Bayou. Still had a high wind pushing us around. Took 3 time and I finally gave up and dropped the anchor. Need to move later.

We rowed over to the little boat ramp. Walked up to Target to get a couple of things. Saw a WM and a Home Depot all in a short walk.

Called about the flood gate closure. Can get though on Saturday. Call Harbor Bridge Marina and reserved a transit slip for Friday night. At least we'll get hot showers and ice before we head to Matagorda on Saturday. Might make it home on Sunday.

Only 29 mile today but Lisa said it felt like 129 miles.

965 miles

May 16

Offatts Bayou. Just hanging out.

May17

Offatts Bayou.

This evening a young sailor stopped by for a visit. He is headed to Aranasa Pass. He's single hand all the way from Long Island to here. Center cockpit yawl. Atlas is the boat name. Did a stop over the Bahamas. He's thinking of doing the ICW on down to Port Isabel.

Gave him my copy of Jay's cruising guide from Galveston to Brownsville.

Weather is looking good for the next few days. Wont leave here if the winds are greater than 10. I don't care not going to get hammered again.

May 18

We had a good motor sail over to Freeport. West Bay was almost like glass as we crossed. We left at 0630 to beat any winds that might come up. Had a lot of sailboats pass us as they were headed to the Spring Fling in Freeport.

Got a slip for tonight and much needed showers. First time to have WIFI since we left Peggy's on the Bayou.

I did get on the radio with a big trawler to give him hell for his 8 foot wake. He slowed down until he got almost to us then dropped the hammer. He did reply with I will watch my wake in the future.

We passed the 1000 mile make today at the 390 mm WHL.

Hope to get through the flood gates early to make it on over to Matagorda.

1004 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment